SEO Best Practice Strategies for 2014 with Rand Fishkin of MOZ

Special Guest: Rand Fishkin
Rand Fishkin is the CEO of Moz. He co-authored the Art of SEO from O’Reilly Media, co-founded Inbound.org, and was named on PSBJ’s 40 Under 40 List and Business Week’s 30 Best Tech Entrepreneurs Under 30. Rand is an addict of all things content & social on the web, from his blog on entrepreneurship to Twitter, Google+, Facebook, LinkedIn, and FourSquare. In his minuscule spare time, Rand enjoys the company of his amazing wife, Geraldine, whose serendipitous travel blog chronicles their journeys.

Meet to go over the newest strategies for SEO & SEM for 2014 & to talk about all the tools MOZ has to offer.  I will be doing these Hangouts once a month inviting special guests that are authorities in the industries.  If you would like to be a participant on this panel of professionals please email me at robert@internetetadpro.com.

Follow me on Twitter @robertohaver
http://www.internetadpro.com/SEO Best Practice Strategies for 2014 with Rand Fishkin of MOZ

1. Robert O'Haver

In case you missed this ish yesterday, SEO Hhangout with +Rand Fishkin & +Robert
    O’Haver

Rand more or less agrees with the Content Shock scenario put forth by Mark
    Schaefer. Basically, the fact that we’re all publishers makes for content
    overload as well as poor output.

I agree that content marketing is highly demanding; many will discover they
    can’t keep producing consistent quality content and simply give up.

If you think you’re in danger of jumping off the content cliff, I say scale
    it back. Yes, it’s better to have fresh content on your blog 3 times a
    week, but not at the expense of your audience. If you’re pressed for
    time/resources, spend the whole week on one epic post instead of 3
    acceptable articles.

I’m still aiming for 3 blog posts per week, and I find myself devoting way
    more time to the articles than I did 6 months ago. I used to crank out a
    post in about an hour—-lately a single post takes up the majority of my
    day.

No issues there if you’re a freelancer (I presume?) For us in-house
    marketers, I think it’s time to have a sit down with the higher ups. I
    don’t know about anybody else, but I have a hard time explaining that you
    can’t create epic shit in an hour.

Thoughts?

(p.s. my question comes at the very end. It was prompted by the phrase
    “link earning.” I think I earn a link when I guest post. I don’t write
    crap, and I often design an image to go along with my copy. How much would
    people pay for this service that I’m supposed to offer for nothing more
    than the promise of exposure now? As much as I love writing and design, I
    don’t think a single link at the bottom of a page is asking too much.
    Apparently I’m in the minority on this one.)

2. Robert O'Haver

+Rand Fishkin & +Robert O’Haver Thank you for the insight. We completely
    agree that *it’s not about just SEO* but your Social impacts your SEO, your
    Content impacts your SEO and so forth. Well said.

3. Doug Asker

I believe Google has been a a fantastic success and in several ways has
    revolutionised just how we use the internet. However, I think it’s time for
    Google to become subject to regulation. Like Financial institutions,
    utility companies and many monopolies, organizations which hold such
    control of business and consumers really should be subject to independent
    governance.The latest Panda Update just makes this case stronger

4. Paul Rone-Clarke

Another rehash of Google’s own webmaster guidelines with some common sense
    thrown in and a sales pitch alluded to for the soft sell ending.
    MOZ still seems like “money for old rope”. Not found anything
    particularly new that couldn’t also be categorised as “obvious if you think
    about it for 5 minutes”
    All that said, If Rand gets you guys to pay a pretty high monthly fee for
    positive affirmation of what should be common sense in the first place –
    bundled with some tools that you could get elsewhere for a fraction of the
    cost? Then all power to him. Hats off to Rand. Might not be effective SEO –
    but a great marketer of his own brand. I’d learn from what he does not what
    he says.

5. sofy pathan

SEO Best Practice Strategies for 2014.. thanks..for .. nice video

6. Denver Prophit Jr.

+Rand Fishkin, in this video at timestamp 2:40 you pick out a question
    about click through ratios on a wide or narrow funnel of keywords. My
    question somewhat relates to semantic search. I wrote an article piece
    about good and bad category structure (keywords) with semantic meaning.

On slide 3, I layout the structure for a *lump hammer*. It logically flows
    from hardware to hammers to any specific lump hammer made by any brand
    name. Another example would be a certain type of female running shoe by
    nike. All of which are several combined keywords as they related to each
    other.

Question: If I focus on review articles, best ways to swing a lump hammer
    (lol), by inference from breadcrumb schema and other markup, am I covering
    hammer searches, lump hammer, hardware and the same for sportswear, woman’s
    sportswear, shoes -> Woman -> Brand name even if I’m not mentioning them,
    directly?

7. Jason Lee

ROFL at 33 minutes regarding the Holy Grail! Robert, thanks a ton for
    interviewing Rand. Great advice on #howtodokeywordresearch as well.

8. successfullywired

Hi Rand I’m a member of MOZ and love it. This video really answers lots of
    questions and I love your suggestions. Thanks:)!

9. Rangana Wishvajith

this is nice and i have learned some key points through this video thanks
    for sharing